Posted in Chalk paint, Furniture, Paint techniques, Trash or Treasure Sales

Bed stands revamped with chalk paint

Hallo there

The year is in full swing already.  I have moved from my house of 360m2 to a flat below the house of  62m2.  As you can imagine it is a big squeezzzzze. Can’t invite friends, can hardly move around the place and of course can’t find a bloody thing.            Boohooooooo:(:(:(

What I have been doing since the 1st of January is selling my not needed stuff on every online marketplace that I can find.

With this post I would like to share one of my revamps that I sold recently.

These two bed stands [is that the correct description?; they look more like small chest of drawers] were given to me by a lady who moved to an old age home.  Though practical, they are NOT beautiful. 

I am a strong believer when decorating ones house [or designing ones house] to aim for the best balance between practicality and aesthetics.  Although old; these bed stands were sturdy and in a good condition.

They were made of melamine and horrific plastic beige handles.

 

JN180 Before
Practical but very boring [apologies for the bad pic]
I have lots of left-over paint. I mixed some left over paints to get a duck egg [with blue undertone] colour. I make my own chalk paint; this was ideal to cover the smooth melamine finish.

I did not take photo’s of my process of revamping the bed stands.  To give them more texture I layered the paint.  First the duck egg blue and then a very light grey paint.

The new wood handles were also painted with the duck egg blue and then I gave them a tickling of gold/copper paint.

The bed stands were finished with a fan stencil. Painted in a darker duck egg blue tone and with a sprinkling of gold/copper paint.

Here is the final product.

JN180
Upcycled, revamped BED STAND [no is item #]
Sold the pair for R1 300.00. Hooray!!!


 

Below is another piece that I gave a new jacket.  I have had this chest of drawers since before I had my children.  It was painted a bright yellow in enamel paint. I keep forgetting to take BEFORE photo’s.

Again, chalk paint came to the rescue. This time I used baking soda to make my own chalk paint.  Using baking soda gives the paint a rougher texture.  I first painted the piece in left over brown paint but hated it. Having mixed a large amount of duck egg paint [and loving the colour] I decided to use it again.

Here is the final piece.

JN182

JN182.1
The inside of the drawers were decoupaged with dress patterns

I lined the inside of the drawers with old dress pattern pieces. Next time I will first paint the wood white before decoupaging the pattern pieces.  The new handles gave the piece it’s final UMPH!

Sold for R800. Another Hooray!

Keep well until next time.

Marianne

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Posted in Furniture

Chairs in bright colours

A collection of sturdy chairs newly painted and upholstered in beautiful bright colours. I had so much fun to upcycle these chairs. The guest house, Bonne Esperance, gave them to me when they changed ownership. The chairs were originally made by the pre-1994 Public Works Department. Pre-1994 the department provided furniture (amongst other things) for all civil service personnel.  Most furniture was stamped with a PWD mark. The PWD chairs were also made from a variety of solid woods, but no pine, and stained in a similar clour.

A real bargain @ R650 each

RIS1 (491x640)RIS2 (407x640)Turkoos stoele